- Technology Behind GRP Products
- Worlds first certified SR4 GRP Enclosure
- Protecting Substations with Anti Vandal GRP
- Benefits of anti-vandal housings and enclosures
- Features of Security related GPR Housings
- Standard Safety for Gas Meter Boxes
- Four Benefits of GRP acoustic enclosures
- HolemakerTechnology Introduces the DrillSink
- Importance of Roadside Gas Meter Box Ventilation
- PRO’S & CON’S FOR THE USE OF FR PVC VERSUS MULTIWALL POLYCARBONATE
- The Multisink™ Combination Countersink Tool
- Versadrive cutting tools
- CarbideMax Broach Cutters
- The GRP manufacturing process
- Odour control roof covers
Mobile Cold Storage or physically built structures?
There are many types of cold storage units available for fish products. These can vary from single or multi story buildings to temporary mobile bulk stores of a variety of sizes. Different types of shapes are available; the most traditional form in recent times is a cube shape as the surface to volume ratio is kept to a minimum. When considering how you store your products you must take cost of land into consideration if you choose not to opt for mobile cold storage. This consideration has resulted with multi storey buildings which has advantages and disadvantages such as expensive foundations, framework and congested handling areas.
There are a number of advantages and disadvantages of storing refrigerated products in physically built structures compared to mobile methods. The comparison below compares mobile cold storage units to physical structures:
- Planning permission - No planning permission is needed for mobile cold storage units. They can be delivered on site and stored in an outdoor environment. Planning permission is needed if you choose to build a multi-story building from scratch. Planning permission can take months to be approved and this can be costly for your profits as a lower volume of products can be stored.
- Flexibility - Built structures are quite inflexible in terms of coping with demand. For example your will experience a surge in demand at seasonal times throughout the year for example, an increase in food products for Christmas and Easter. However, for the remainder of the year you will have excess storage that you will not be using for large periods of time throughout the year. You may well be paying to run which can increase overheads. Mobile cold storage can be rented for short hire periods to cope with temporary fluctuations in demand in a cost effective way.
- Maintenance - maintaining built cold stores can be a costly experience. If you own a physically built freezer area, you will be responsible for the maintenance and the costs involved. With mobile refrigeration units, the company that supply the unit is responsible for general maintenance and repairs. They are on call 24 hours of the day to cope with power failures and similar issues should they occur. This coverage and flebility is not always easy when building your own cold storage area and can lead to loss of products which will impact profits negatively.
There are many other factors which come into play when thinking about building or renting cold storage Units. It’s important to get the advice of cold storage specialists such as CRS who operate in both the UK and in Ireland. CRS offer mobile temperature controlled storage as well as a range of tailored refrigeration solutions that are customised to the needs of clients. For more information visits CRS Cold Storage today.
For restaurants, chefs, supermarkets and butchers, a health kitchen or starts with the way food, particularly meat, is maintained and handled. Storing meat at the wrong temperatures can and has caused serious illness in the past so meat industry...
The government plans for privatisation have received a mixed reception amongst the public. The main feeling towards the flotation on the stock exchange are of resentment and outrage! Some argue that the privatisation of the mailing system can be a...
Mua Hospital in Malawi is soon to receive a fully equipped internet café facility, courtesy of CRS, an Irish cold storage company. CRS produces cold storage solutions for a variety of sectors including the food, catering, medical and...